[lfs-support] Can't get LFS to boot, fsck.ext4 no such file or directory while trying to open ....

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 17:26:10 PDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM, TJ Olaes <contact at olaes.net> wrote:
> akhiezer <lfs65 <at> cruziero.com> writes:
>
>> So it's not really a matter of whether the drives are physically or (somehow)
>> logically IDE: your new LFS might require the 'sd..' naming.
>>

> Bingo.  That's relevant info that's not mentioned in the LFS book, because
> I just renamed all the hda.'s to sda. and I now have a login prompt.
>
> Following the LFS steps, this hda/sda naming business isn't mentioned.  I
> assumed hd.. because SliTaz had named them hd.., but it's running on a 2.6
> kernel.  It might be worth it to note that in kernel 3.8.x the hard disks
> will be referred to as sd..?

The sd verses hd naming was true with kernel 2.6.X when I built LFS
6.5. That was clearly pointed out in a series of email on this list
(it seems that some old email is not available in the LFS archives
don't know if that group is or not) and other documentation from other
sources. IIRC it was in the configure process when preparing the
kernel for compilation. It never has been in the LFS book but it is
found in other places. After a certain release of the 2.6.X (without
researching I don't know the exact release) kernel that has been true
for any Linux system as was pointed out some what earlier in this
email thread. So, this has been true for about 3 or 4 years, maybe 5
years.