[lfs-support] Can't get LFS to boot, fsck.ext4 no such file or directory while trying to open ....

TJ Olaes contact at olaes.net
Sat Mar 23 17:57:30 PDT 2013

Good evening.

Hope someone can help me see something I'm missing, I've been googling all day
trying to get LFS to boot up and have made some progress but this one is
stumping me.

Currently, I have at least one problem, which is that the boot sequence fails at
this point:

Checking file systems...fsck.ext4: No such file or directory while trying to
open /dev/hda8

What I'm doing right now is booting from the grub command line, a la:

grub> set
... snip some variable lines ...
prefix=(hd0,msdos1)/grub
root=hd0,1
... snip more stuff ...

grub> linux /vmlinux-3.8.3-lfs-7.3 root=/dev/sda8
grub> boot

My config:

/dev/hda1 is an ext4 boot partition named "boot"
/dev/hda5 is an ext4 partition for "usr"
/dev/hda6 is ext4 for "opt"
/dev/hda7 is ext4 for "src"
/dev/hda8 is the ext4 root partition
/dev/hda9 is ext4 for "home"