[lfs-support] Kernel can not boot

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 21 12:15:50 PDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 07:47:25PM +0100, Niels Terp wrote:

> Is there anything special I should do, to use the 3.8.3 kernel ? And now
> 3.8.4 is out, what about that one ?

 Nothing special at all when upgrading an existing system, but see
my response to your next question.

> And by the way, what is the correct procedure if I want to upgrade the
> kernel after an installation is finished ? I guess I would have to extract
> the headers, and rebuild GCC and GLIBC ? What about the other programs, is
> any of them using the kernel headers ?

 No, only build and install the new kernel.  Yes, I know some
distros install new kernel headers, but it isn't necessary in normal
use.  Rebuilding gcc and glibc is a waste of your time - and
upgrading an in-place glibc could go badly wrong if you don't
understand what you are doing.   Keep your old kernel, and its entry
in grub.cfg, in case the newer kernel (or its config) has a problem.

> Oh, and by the way: My eksperiment whit recompiling the new kernel on an old
> installation: It booted fine, bot then had other problems - it complained
> about a RTC error.

 If that was fatal then you arrived at a bad .config.  Copying a
good (and recent) .config, e.g. in your kernel directory 'zcat
/proc/config.gz >.config' followed by 'make oldconfig' will do the
right thing.  "RTC error" can mean many things - often google can
help.  If the system was usable, then it's probably ok.

ĸen