[lfs-support] Configuring the Linux Console for Japanese Environment (LFS 7.0)

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 20 14:43:04 PDT 2013

[ this response contains a few UTF-8 japanese glyphs ]

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 01:06:51AM +0700, Andi Blacktigerbro wrote:
> I'm trying to build LFS with fully supported Japanese Environment and can
> be switched into English, but only use US-EN keyboard input and for
> Japanese input I prefer to use Anthy/SCIM
> Now I'm on chapter 7.10. Configuring the Linux Console - LFS 7.0 but I have
> problem chossing the KEYMAP
> Should I use this
> -----------
> cat > /etc/sysconfig/console << "EOF"
> # Begin /etc/sysconfig/console
>
> KEYMAP="jp106"
>
> # End /etc/sysconfig/console
> EOF
> -----------
> or maybe just US-EN KEYMAP or something else? but the console at later time
> should able to display hiragana, katakana, and kanji characters.

 I don't think the console can display kanji.  If you use the bright
colours, you can have a total of 256 glyphs.  If you do without the
bright ones you can have up to 512 glyphs, at least in a framebuffer.
There are also size issues for the character cell (the largest
standard fonts I'm aware of are 12x22, which maybe _requires_ a
framebuffer, but most are something like 8x16 or smaller - perhaps
there are enough available glyphs for ASCII, hiragana, katakana but
you might struggle to find a suitable console font).

 I can see occasional references to console projects, but the
easiest way to display any of those writing systems is to use
terminals in Xorg.  The legacy xorg fonts, or modern TrueType/OTF
fonts, will happily display all of those writing systems.  I'm not
sure if xterm itself can do that, but certainly rxvt-unicode can.

 This is what translate.google thinks is the katakana for Andi, I've
keyed the first 4 codes using ISO-14755 format in rxvt-unicode and
pasted the fifth because I can't recognize it from the hiragana or
katakana glyphs listed in gucharmap: アンディー (codes U+30A2,
U+30F3, U+30C7 U+30A3) : for me that renders identically in
rxvt-unicode and in firefox.  I'm guessing the last glyph is U+30FC
"katakana+hiragana prolonged sound mark" ー which gucharmap shows in
the 'common' area.

 Do you actually need a console for those writing systems, or would
using them in a browser / graphical mail client / office programs be
adequate ?  I use mutt for my email, but I subscribe to the lkml
list and when I read mail in rxvt-unicode I am able to render the
CJK [ Kanji, Chinese, Korean ] glyphs which appear in people's names
and standard introductory remarks.

 For the console itself, I guess jp106 is your only sensible choice
(or if your keyboard has subtle differences, for example because you
use a laptop where some keys have been rearranged, copy jp106 and use
it to create a corrected version for your machine).

ĸen