[lfs-support] I cannot build the kernel

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 19:46:58 PDT 2013

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 03:04:39AM +0100, Jean-Philippe MENGUAL wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Maybe I made too quickly the system, so I plan to start again from scratch.
>> But maybe I can understand 9hat happens before: in the kernel, when I do make,
>> I get:
>>
>>    SYSHDR  arch/x86/syscalls/../include/generated/uapi/asm/unistd_x32.h
>>    HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
>>    gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory
>>    make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1 make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
>>
>> I've never had such error building my kernel. Can I rescue anything? Otherwise
>> I will re-build the system. However I thought everything installed fine (tests
>> finished without errors).
>>
>> Well if you've an idea...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> JP
>   Everything that google finds suggests your gcc installation is
> broken.  I would not rate the results of 'make check' as useful in
> that context (we've all seen b0rken systems, such as the breakage in
> approx 7.0 (?sound, I think - my report is in the archives, along
> with Andy's deprecation of 'make check')  where make check was fine).
> But if everything after gcc *compiled* OK then this error sounds
> unlikely.
>
>   So, have you changed something between completing chapter 6 and
> building the kernel ?  The error implies that you cannot compile
> *any* normal C program.

I agree.  Try the test in Host System Requirements:

echo 'main(){}' > dummy.c && gcc -o dummy dummy.c
if [ -x dummy ]
   then echo "gcc compilation OK";
   else echo "gcc compilation failed"; fi
rm -f dummy.c dummy

I did run into a different problem the other day when I extracted the
tarball as root and then later tried to run make menuconfig as a regular
user.  But that doesn't sound like your problem.

Are you still in chroot?  Is /tools in the PATH?  Actually /tools should
not be needed at this point.

   -- Bruce