[lfs-support] I cannot build the kernel

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 10 19:27:49 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 03:04:39AM +0100, Jean-Philippe MENGUAL wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe I made too quickly the system, so I plan to start again from scratch.
> But maybe I can understand 9hat happens before: in the kernel, when I do make,
> I get:
>
>   SYSHDR  arch/x86/syscalls/../include/generated/uapi/asm/unistd_x32.h
>   HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
>   gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory
>   make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1 make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
>
> I've never had such error building my kernel. Can I rescue anything? Otherwise
> I will re-build the system. However I thought everything installed fine (tests
> finished without errors).
>
> Well if you've an idea...
>
> Regards,
>
> JP
 Everything that google finds suggests your gcc installation is
broken.  I would not rate the results of 'make check' as useful in
that context (we've all seen b0rken systems, such as the breakage in
approx 7.0 (?sound, I think - my report is in the archives, along
with Andy's deprecation of 'make check')  where make check was fine).
But if everything after gcc *compiled* OK then this error sounds
unlikely.

 So, have you changed something between completing chapter 6 and
building the kernel ?  The error implies that you cannot compile
*any* normal C program.

ĸen