[lfs-support] Problem with locales

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 2 20:43:47 PST 2013

On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 03:31:54AM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 02:06:02AM +0100, Clément Hertling (Wxcafé) wrote:
> > This is what i get :
> >
> > >[root at nuada-airgetlam]/ # locale -a | grep en_US
> > >en_US
> > >en_US.iso88591
> > >en_US.utf8
> > >[root at nuada-airgetlam]/ # export LC_ALL="en_US.utf8"
> > >bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.utf8)
> >
> > And at that point, utf8 is not on.
> > Anyone having a clue? I'm waiting for suggestions.
> > Thanks
> >
>  With luck, it's a limitation of the /tools environment.  I suggest
> you defer trying to set a locale until you have completed the build
> because it isn't needed.

 Actually, what you probably want is LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 : sorry for
my incorrect earlier reply where I meant 'build environment', but
setting a locale before you boot is unnecessary (if root cannot
understand english, as in the 'C' environment, he or she will have a
lot of difficulty following LFS).

ĸen