[lfs-support] Host Distribution

Wally Lepore wallylepore at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 13:54:34 PDT 2012

>>On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 01:29:58PM -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
>
>> I still haven't loaded a distro yet and I am simply
>> looking for a host distro that will give me the least conflict with
>> building an LFS distro.

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> LFS is arguably not a distro. ...(continued)
>
> Start with a distro, explore what they offer,
> decide which packages you think you want to use. ...(continued)
>
> Come back when you are comfortable with how to install packages
> and know what you want to do with the resulting LFS system - that
> might mean that it is only a place to learn more about how the parts
> fit together, and that you will stay with your host distro for doing
> real work. ...(continued)

Hi Ken,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. A lot of great advice that I
will comment on in subsequent posts. For now, only this much please.

I understand about LFS and subjectively referring to it as a distro. I
meant to say, "....and I am simply looking for a host distro that will
give me the least conflict with the LFS build process".

I believe Debian (stable) will be a good start for me as I begin to
learn the following:

1) Easy "one CD" install (I hope). I already downloaded the small
installation iso image that is about 191 MB total size. The Debian
Download center describes this "small iso" footprint download as:

"A "network install" or "netinst" CD is a single CD which enables you
to install the entire operating system. This single CD contains just
the minimal amount of software to start the installation and fetch the
remaining packages over the Internet." -end-

2) Learn to use the command prompt (or cmd) in windows 2000 and the
md5Sum.exe to verify the iso file download. Been at this for awhile
utilizing two computers (win2k and windows 7) just to get familiar
with the verification process. Still working on it...

3) Fetching and building "packages"

4) Eventually when beginning the process of building my distro using
LFS, I will base my distro on Debian as I like their concept of
separating "Feedom" software" from "Non-Freedom" software and their
software licensing in general.

Ok, I understand the whole free vs non-free software choice and the
removal of binary blobs is perhaps a procedure that can be built into
just about any host distro but I'm just not there yet and don't know
enough. I can't speak professionally about it. I'm still studying the
whole philosophy and concept behind the truly free distros (GNU
project movement and Richard Stallman ) versus non-free distros.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my goal is to download a host
distro that will enable me to learn the "behind the scenes working of
Linux" and also (eventually) learn to build a distro using LFS.

I was considering Slackeware as my host distro as this distro is
defined as more of a "hands-on", "do it yourself" type distro. That's
good and it is what I prefer but I keep reading that Slackware is
primarily for advanced Linux users. I'm concerned it may be way too
difficult for me to navigate. Still open to thoughts on this.

I will be running windows and utilizing a host distro simultaneously.
Thus I am using windows for my everyday computer tasks. Yes, I do
prefer to utilize a host distro to also perform my everyday computer
tasks but one step at a time for me as I am slowly making the
changeover. I have many applications in windows that I utilize daily
and attempting to convert them all over to a 100% Linux platform would
be a monumental  task. I can't afford that much downtime thus running
both platforms simultaneously  eases the conversion process.

Thank you
Wally