[lfs-support] Host Distribution

Wally Lepore wallylepore at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 10:29:58 PDT 2012

Hi Drew,

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM,  <jxa127 at verizon.net> wrote:

> I have sucessfully built LFS three times with Slackware as the host.
> Each time it was with the version that was released when I started
> building the most recent LFS. Right now I'm building LFS 7.1
> with Slackware 13.37 as the host.

Thank you for the advice and suggestions. At this point, its a toss-up
between Debian and Slackware. The more I read the more I get
overwhelmed. My feeling is that Slackware is a "low level" distro
(more hands-on and closest to the actual Unix environment).  I'm
concerned that I'll be left in the dust as this distro seems to be
geared towards advanced Linux users.

I've been reading and studying much and definitely look for as much
support as possible with the chosen distro. I've been involved with
computers for a long long time. I just started studying Linux about
two months ago. I still haven't loaded a distro yet and I am simply
looking for a host distro that will give me the least conflict with
building an LFS distro.

I like the fact that Debian has an iso image that is about 140 MB once
burned to a CD. Seems like a simple install considering most distro's
have about a 700MB install size if not multiple CD's .

I simply prefer to learn Linux from the ground up, as in the correct
way without the help of fancy admin tools. I prefer to learn how to
load, compile and build my own packages and NOT have a particular
distro's admin tools automatically accomplish this for me. I'd like to
know what's happening behind the admin tools actions.

I think by now you have an understanding of what my approach is to the
learning process with Linux. However I'm concerned that the old
saying, "Be careful what you wish for, it might come true" may come to
haunt me. In other words, I'm concerned that Slackware may present me
with what I'm looking for but may be too advanced for me to take the
first step. Or perhaps I am wrong.

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you kindly
Wally