[lfs-support] Chapter 2.3 Ken Moffat Ken

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 19:56:12 PDT 2012

Ken Moffat wrote:

> 3. Actually, you *don't* need to figure out all the 32 vs 64 bit
> stuff - unless you want to.

Agree.

> GCC works better with more
> registers, which is one of the main reasons for using x86_64 - the
> drawback is that pointers are 64-bit so take more space

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/prologue/architecture.html

That was written several years ago.  We can probably reword it to
recommend either a 32-bit or 64-bit Intel architecture.

With disk space plentiful today, the space issue is really not that
meaningful.  I have not run into a package that doesn't build on a
64-bit system in quite a long while.

   -- Bruce