[lfs-support] Chapter 2.3 Ken Moffat Ken

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 24 19:40:17 PDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 09:12:21PM -0500, Garrett Gaston wrote:

> I do understand that swap can be used by all linux systems on the machine, my questions was on the importance of initialzing it and and the errors I was getting from enter the given LFS commands.
> I also understand that thing change over time, I was well aware that HDs use to be refered to as hdx and now sdx. The thing was, I didn't see anything reasons for my previous LFS build to be using hdx and thus was having a problem that took some time to figure out.
> I do still need to learn all the 32 vs 64 bit references I'll admit, (x86, i386, x86>63).You're worried about be being able to configure the kernelm (well, me to actually) did you see where this is my second build?

 Since I'm still up (tittlearsing about with DESTDIR installs for
chapter 6, so not in the best of moods :) I'll respond -

1. If swap is already initialized (if it's in use, it must be), then
there is no point in re-initializing it.

2. I don't recall your previous problems, but your post that I
replied to implied that /dev/sdX didn't exist and /dev/hdX did.  If
I read this post correctly, you have now figured out whatever the
problem was, so no more to be said.

3. Actually, you *don't* need to figure out all the 32 vs 64 bit
stuff - unless you want to.  A lot of people still apparently build
on i686 (32-bit).  The best descriptions are probably on wikipedia
(i386 - oldest, i486, i586, i686 - current, x86_64).  The 32-bit
variants provided extra instructions in the newer models, but all
have the same lack of registers.  GCC works better with more
registers, which is one of the main reasons for using x86_64 - the
drawback is that pointers are 64-bit so take more space [ hello, x32
( X32_ABI on wikipedia :) ]

ĸen