[lfs-support] Host Distribution

Wally Lepore wallylepore at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 18:19:14 PDT 2012

 On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM, William Harrington wrote:

> This is almost asking like what kind of beer someone likes or what
> kind of food they like....
> To build LFS, and with your system specs, any will do. I had a dual
> p3 1.4 tualatin system which built like a champ and pretty darn fast.
> If you choose debian, and if you want a minimal system to build LFS
> from, use the netinst iso for i386. Then you can install what you
> need to build LFS from there such as:

> I would also suggest slackware as a good host to build from. Install
> the dev set and you will be fine.
> Just meet the host system requirements as stated here: http://
> www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/prologue/hostreqs.html

> apt-get install bison flex m4 texinfo gawk ncurses-dev && dpkg-
> reconfigure dash  ( use bash for default shell)
> Other than that I use slackware.
> If you want a live system, the udpated livecd I have created will do
> just fine..
> http://cross-lfs.org/~kb0iic/livecdupd/

Hi William,

Yes I understand and am aware that the distro choice is  highly
subjective. I did watch in the mentioned  video link that during the
LFS build process,  LFS will turn up errors if the errors "already
exist"  in the host distro. I forget the exact wording  but I'm sure
you know what I am referring to. In other words, it was suggested to
use a distro that is error free (if one exists).

That is why the author (in the mentioned video)  recommends the LFS
LiveCD in that something  about it being error free.

Very nice on your PIII tualatin build. Is it still running?

William, I can't find that Debian iso link you recommend. I was at
their site and did not see the link for "netinst i386". Can you please
locate?

I'm concerned that Slackware may be too tech heavy for me as that
mentioned video link suggested. But if you "highly" recommend then I
will install it. After all, the author did mention that, "to really
learn Linux use Slackware".

Thanks again for your LFS LiveCD updated link. I will consider. At
this point it really boils down to either installing a host distro to
my hard drive or using the LiveCD.

However, if you are already using Slackware, then it may be a good
start for me as I will have support in the event I need help (which
will almost certainly be).

Thank you
Wally