[lfs-support] Host Distribution

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 24 18:03:26 PDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 08:14:33PM -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
> Hi Members,
>
> I hope to begin the journey of learning to build my own LFS distro and
> have been reading the Essential Pre-Reading Guide for Life with LFS
> (over and over) as well as the LFS book itself. I'm beginning to
> become familiar with all the terminology and would like some advice on
> choosing a host distro. This first step is daunting to say the least.

 Umm, why ?  Seriously, most people came here after either starting
to loathe their current distro (can you say package management? :)
or else because they were using a distro and wanted to learn more.

 In theory, any recent distro should do.  At times, fedora has been
*too* new, or difficult (linker options, security features), but I
haven't seen any such reports recently.  Conversely, debian and its
derivatives have a liking for old packages (e.g. mawk instead of
gawk) and will need some additions and changes - see William's
reply.

 But in general, all you should need to do is to check the host
system requirements in the preface.  The best host system is, of
course, the current version of LFS - but for most people that isn't
a practical option ;)

ĸen