[lfs-support] /etc/sysconfig/console

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 24 12:15:17 PDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 01:06:12PM -0400, Baho Utot wrote:

> Now I am trying to set this system up for UTF-8
> is the console setting the same or would it need to be changed if i set
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8 ?

 This is what I'm using for British English:

KEYMAP="uk-utf"
UNICODE="1"
FONT="LatGrkCyr-8x16"
LEGACY_CHARSET="iso-8859-15"

 I've no idea if the LEGACY_CHARSET does anything useful, but it
doesn't do any harm :)

 I guess the only thing _required_ is UNICODE="1".  After that, it
 depends on your font, your colourscheme (my fonts, at least the 8x16
versions, don't look nice if you use dark on a light background,
they are designed for light on dark), and most importantly, what
glyphs you want to be able to display.  Also, your own ideas of how
certain glyphs ought to appear [ e.g. 'g' could have an open loop or
a curled tail ].

 In my case, LatGrkCyr aims to display almost all latin, greek
(not polytonic), cyrillic glyphs that a (west)-european might see.
At the cost of removing bold colours to get 512 available glyphs, and
using a framebuffer.  For other people, the requirements will be
different.

 FWIW, my keymap aims to let me approximate, with compose keys, the
dead keys for accents, etc which are available in xorg (I can't use
AltGr for the dead key, so I have to assign a Compose key, and then
I use the symbol, letter so that I only have to remember one set of
modifiers - e.g. ; for acute accent.  Doesn't all work, but enough
to be useful to me.  Other people do things differently, e.g. my
netbook with ubuntu is set for dead keys, and works painfully.

  If in doubt about fonts, take a look at ~/ken at lfs - as well as
my fonts there is some example text to help identify what your fonts
can and can't cover - that might also be useful when running xorg.

ĸen