[lfs-support] /etc/sysconfig/console

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 09:51:13 PDT 2012

Baho Utot wrote:
> I am trying to understand how to set this file for LFS-7.2
>
> What is the default for the following variables?
> That is if you don't use this file and it is not present.
>
> KEYMAP
> FONT
>
>   From my research I think it is the following is the same as not having
> the file:
>
> cat > /etc/sysconfig/console << "EOF"
> # Begin /etc/sysconfig/console
>
> KEYMAP="en"
> FONT="lat1-16 -m 8859-1"
>
> # End of /etc/sysconfig/console
> EOF

If the file doesn't exist, then the environment variables are not set.
In that cases, it depends on the default behavior of the application
such as agetty or xterm.  You would need to look at the code for those
to determine the defaults.

Note that translating a key code (say 1 for esc, etc) to a character and
then translating that character to a glyph (a rectangular array or dots)
is really a non-trivial task.

   -- Bruce