[lfs-support] lfs 7.2 section 6.55 man-db

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 20 11:43:47 PDT 2012

 Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 06:12:37PM +0300, Israel Silberg wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2012 4:09 PM, "Tomasz Sekściński" <tomasz at sekscinski.pl> wrote:
> >
> > Dnia 2012-09-20, o godz. 16:03:03
> > Israel Silberg <israel at silberg.co.il> napisał(a):
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > > I'm about to loose any hope of finishing this LFS build.
> > > During the MAN-DB compilation in section 6.55
> > > in the section:
> > >
> > > ./configure --prefix=/usr
> > > --libexecdir=/usr/lib
> > > --docdir=/usr/share/doc/man-db-2.6.2
> > > --sysconfdir=/etc
> > > --disable-setuid
> > > --with-browser=/usr/bin/lynx
> > > --with-vgrind=/usr/bin/vgrind
> > > --with-grap=/usr/bin/grap
> > >

> > Did you remove backslashes at the end of lines?
> >
> > It should look like below:
> >
> > ./configure --prefix=/usr \
> >             --libexecdir=/usr/lib \

> I copied the command from the command line in the terminal thats why there
> are no back slashes. I have tried also copy & paste everything from the
> book to the terminal, still same result
>
> Israel

 Well, your error messages (pasted below) show that you didn't have
a continuation after the first line.

root: /sources/man-db-2.6.2# --libexecdir=/usr/lib
bash: --libexecdir=/usr/lib: No such file or directory
root: /sources/man-db-2.6.2# --docdir=/usr/share/doc/man-db-2.6.2
bash: --docdir=/usr/share/doc/man-db-2.6.2: No such file or directory

 I assume that configure ran through with just --prefix=/usr.  Every
subsequent line has been interpreted as a new command, so it is
definitely not being treated as part of the configure command.

 If you look at the history, I think you will find that is the case
(i.e. the last configure will end at --prefix=/usr, and the line
starting --libexecdir will be a separate command with its own number
in the history.

 If it had pasted correctly, only one long command would show for
this, from ./configure all the way through to
--with-grap=/usr/bin/grap.

 When you are entering commands that continue on later lines, '\'
has to be the last character of each line you key in, immediately
followed by <Enter>.  If you paste, '\' should be followed by the
newline character.  Putting a space after '\' will break things.

 I think something went wrong with how you pasted it, but I cannot
see how you would manage to do that (unless the version of the book
you are using has a spurious space - my local copy of 7.2 looks
fine).

ĸen