[lfs-support] LFS vs. LFS LiveCD

spiky martynvidler at aol.com
Thu Sep 20 11:00:47 PDT 2012

On 20/09/12 18:55, Wally Lepore wrote:
> Hi Members,
>
> I do hope this is the correct mailing list. My question pertains to
> LFS and the LFS LiveCD but the mailing list for the LiveCD no longer
> appears active. Thank you for taking my question please.
>
> I've been studying Linux for awhile now and would like to utilize the
> LFS system to build a Linux distro and also to learn the concepts of
> structure and construction that will also enable me to help/join a
> development team on a particular existing distro.
>
> Can you please tell me if the LFS LiveCD is still a valid tool to
> utilize in learning the "how to" of building a linux distro. I read
> that the LFS LiveCD is no longer supported and the LiveCD is not
> available for version 7.0 and later.
>
> In other words, can I still build an LFS distro that is fully
> functional in today's environment using the last supported version of
> the LFS LiveCD?
>
> Or...
>
> Is it better to go with the latest version and install the LFS system
> to a hard drive that has a host distro installed? I did read the
> benefits of using the LiveCd versus installing to a host distro on the
> LFS FAQ.
>
> Any suggestions would surely help as I take my first step.
>
> Thank you Kindly
> Wally Lepore New Jersey

Yes that is correct about the live cd it is out of date now. You would
be better using a distro installed as host, any distro will work as long
as it is made compliant
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/7.2/prologue/hostreqs.html

I have also used a live cd from a production distro which I made compliant.