[lfs-support] udev-189

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 20 05:01:24 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 06:54:50AM -0400, Dave wrote:
> I'm at the point of installation, that udev is next.   The book is clear
> as mud for installing this udev/systemd mess.
>
> Can someone walk me through the steps, so I can get to the real error.
> I've tried 5 diff ways, all with different errors, seem always
> some .h or .o file missing.  but when I look for them they are there.
>
> Give me the proper steps and I'll send the resulting error info
>

> Dave    --not so newbie

 I haven't built 189, but the instructions look similar to what we
did for 188.  Certainly, very different from common CMMI, but
explained in detail.

 So:

0. Remove any existing systemd directory, untar, go into the systemd
directory you just extracted.

1. tar -xvf ../udev-lfs-189.tar.bz2

2. At this point, it is *possible* that you might have problems with
parallel make, so unset MAKEFLAGS if it was set.  I doubt this is
the problem (it usually bites in BLFS making gudev and friends), but
when I moved to setting MAKEFLAGS earlier this year I noticed that
distros were forcing -j1 when building udev.

2. make -f udev-lfs-189/Makefile.lfs

3. If it fails, report the errors.  The people on the list aren't
mind readers : we can't guess what errors you saw, and I'm having a
hard time trying to think of 5 different ways to do this.  By its
nature, the development book will sometimes be broken.  The only way
to fix it is to report the *first* error.

ĸen