[lfs-support] Can't boot into LFS kernel.

Henrik /KaarPoSoft henrik at kaarposoft.dk
Tue Sep 11 01:49:46 PDT 2012

On 09/11/12 04:16, Khoa Nguyen wrote:
> I think there was any problem when i built the kernel for LFS.
> You can send me .config file of LFS ?
>
> When I type "make modules_install", It displays :
>
>  root:/sources/linux-3.2.6# make modules_install
>   INSTALL arch/x86/kernel/test_nx.ko
>   INSTALL drivers/hid/hid-logitech-dj.ko
>   INSTALL drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
>   INSTALL fs/ext4/ext4.ko
>   INSTALL fs/jbd2/jbd2.ko
>   INSTALL lib/crc16.ko
>   INSTALL net/netfilter/xt_mark.ko
>   DEPMOD  3.2.6
> Warning: you may need to install module-init-tools
> See http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/docs/post-halloween-2.6.txt
>
> I don't know it is problem, isn't it ?
>
> I've read some information on the internet . They told the
> module-init-tools is replaced by kmod package.
> So It is not problem .

You must build all drivers related to the root filesystem into the
kernel, not as modules.
If you build something as a module, the kernel can load it from disk,
but obviously only AFTER the file system has been mounted.

If you build anything as modules, you should install kmod, as the module
install uses the depmod command from there.

My config file is here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/kaarpux/code/ci/HEAD/tree/master/packages/l/linux.files/config?force=True
but it is NOT for a basic LFS system.

/Henrik