[lfs-support] LFS 7.2 missing file 75-cd-aliases-generator.rules

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 13:36:50 PDT 2012

Lewis Pike wrote:
> LFS 7.2 section 7.5 "Creating Custom Symlinks to Devices" advises the
> reader to edit /lib/udev/rules.d/75-cd-aliases-generator.rules as
> needed.  Unfortuantely, I can't find this file on my LFS system.
>
> It looks like the udev package underwent some signifcant changes
> between LFS-7.1 & LFS-7.2 so perhaps this issue is related to that.
> Might section 7.5 of the book need updating to reflect the recent
> changes to udev?
>
> If the 75-cd-aliases-generator.rules file is in fact no longer a part
> of udev, what is the recommended way to create the /dev/cdrom and
> /dev/dvd symlinks?

You are right.  That section needs to be updated.

Look in /dev/disk/by-id/.  You should see a cd or dvd device.  In my
case, I have:

disk/by-id/ata-PLDS_DVD+_-RW_DH-16A6S -> ../../sr0

If I do udevadm test /sys/block/sr0, I see

LINK 'cdrom' /usr/libexec/udev/rules.d/60-cdrom_id.rules:18

does that not work for you?

   -- Bruce