[lfs-support] Can't boot into LFS kernel.

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 10 10:58:08 PDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 07:01:21PM +0700, Khoa Nguyen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just finished LFS. However, I'm facing with the problem that I can't
> boot into the LFS kernel.
>
> It displays :
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "sdb1" or unkonwn-block(2,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option;

> Kernel panic -  not syncing : VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block
> (2-0).
>

> I've already search this information in the internet but I can't find out
> the answer for my issue. Someone tell  the configuration is wrong in
> grub.conf file.
>
> I think i configure right in my grub.

 It isn't a grub problem.  You have loaded a kernel, but either the
root device doesn't exist, or the required drivers are missing.

If the root device doesn't exist : occasionally, the order of
disks/controllers can change, but um;ess your host system was
running a very old kernel, I don't think that is likely.  A
possibility is that you didn't install udev [ if so, /sbin/udevadm
will not exist in your LFS system ].

For drivers, you need to compile-in (*not* as modules) the
filesystem and the hardware drivers for whatever disk controllers
are in your machine.

ĸen