[lfs-support] Can't boot into LFS kernel.

Henrik /KaarPoSoft henrik at kaarposoft.dk
Mon Sep 10 10:16:56 PDT 2012

On 09/10/12 14:01, Khoa Nguyen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just finished LFS. However, I'm facing with the problem that I
> can't boot into the LFS kernel.
>
> It displays :
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "sdb1" or unkonwn-block(2,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option;

> Kernel panic -  not syncing : VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block (2-0).

BTW: I always install an initramfs with busybox inside.

This way you can boot linux without any physical filesystems mounted
and have a simple system (busybox) available for debugging
(if grub can load the kernel and initramfs, of course).

And you can tell grub to boot with root=<uuid>

See
http://kaarpux.kaarposoft.dk/packages/l/linux.html

/Henrik