[lfs-support] FYI: LFS-7.2

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 13:38:56 PDT 2012

Baho Utot wrote:
> On 09/06/2012 03:10 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Baho Utot wrote:
>>
>>> I only thing I had a problem on was udev in which I had to add
>>> -ludev-local.a to LDFLAGS.

>> Can you go into detail about why you found this needed.
>> build/udev-local.a is supposed to be included in executables directly as
>> an archive, not searched as a library.

> What happened is that gcc failed to link as it did not find the static
> lib so I added that to the LDFLAGS and it then compiled and linked.

> That is all the info I have on this at this time. It is as I remember
> it...Sorry
>
> Since I am going to rebuild using my scripts to test them before
> commiting them to github I will remove the LDFLAGS
> and if it fails I can then forward the build.log for it so you can
> examine it.

Yes, I'd appreciate that.  Remember that udev-local.a is not supposed to
be linked against.  It is specified explicitly.  For example:

COMMON_LIB = udev-local.a

build/udevd: ...
   gcc build/udevd.o $(UDEVD_OBJS) -o $@ $(LDFLAGS2) \
       build/udev-local.a build/$(COMMON_LIB)

Oops. That's repetitive, but it shouldn't make any difference.

   -- Bruce