[lfs-support] Symlinking /etc/mtab to /proc/mounts

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 12:18:06 PDT 2012

Richard Melville wrote:
> I've noticed that this was recommended way back on LFS 3.3 but now seems to
> have been dropped.  As all the distros appear to have caught up with LFS by
> having this symlink what are the current views here on creating it?  I've
> noticed some discussion on the dev list in January but it seems to have
> been inconclusive.

The last I looked at it, doing the symlink make the output of the mount
command break some scripts.  For instance, instead of having

/dev/sda12 on / type ext3 (rw)

it would give

/dev/root / ext3 rw,... 0 0

/dev/root does not provide any useful information, especially since
/dev/root does not exist in /dev.  /dev/sda12 does tell me which
partition is mounted as root.

   -- Bruce