[lfs-support] Grub 2.00 questions again ... sorry

Firerat firer4t at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 5 14:39:08 PDT 2012

On Sep 5, 2012 10:09 PM, "Bruce Dubbs" <bruce.dubbs
<bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>@<bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
gmail.com <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>> wrote:

> Firerat wrote:
>
> > /boot/grub/grub.cfg cannot be edited by hand!
>
> Wrong.  I do it every time I build a kernel.
>

> > I am by no means a grub expert, but from experience of doing
grub-install
> > from multiple distros living on different partitions I have noted that
the
> > theme changes
>
> That's because they run grub-mkconfig.  It's way too much to mess with
> themes for GRUB.  The screen is only up for a couple of seconds and then
> you select the kernel and you never go back until you reboot.
Which is why I never bother changing the themes
As long as the grub.d scripts pick up all the different distros I'm happy

> You can do a lot of things with GRUB from themes to complex booting over
> a serial line, network, multiple drives, themes, mouse use, etc, but for
> a LFS system you only need a very simple entry the up/down keys and enter.

Yes, tbh about the only feature I add is booting from ISO , which is handy,
means I don't need to burn a Disk or mess with a flash drive
> It's you distro, so do it the way you want, but it really isn't hard
> unless you want to do more than boot up.

Anyway, sorry for flaming, my reasons are not really justified
But I feel better, which is what matters
( I took that from Mikie's book , he sees to like to impinge fire his own
selfish needs )

www.linuxfromscratch.org
<http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html>/<http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html>
lfs <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html>/<http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html>