[lfs-support] Grub 2.00 questions again ... sorry

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 14:06:11 PDT 2012

Firerat wrote:

> /boot/grub/grub.cfg cannot be edited by hand!

Wrong.  I do it every time I build a kernel.

> I am by no means a grub expert, but from experience of doing grub-install
> from multiple distros living on different partitions I have noted that the
> theme changes

That's because they run grub-mkconfig.  It's way too much to mess with
themes for GRUB.  The screen is only up for a couple of seconds and then
you select the kernel and you never go back until you reboot.

You can do a lot of things with GRUB from themes to complex booting over
a serial line, network, multiple drives, themes, mouse use, etc, but for
a LFS system you only need a very simple entry the up/down keys and enter.

It's you distro, so do it the way you want, but it really isn't hard
unless you want to do more than boot up.

   -- Bruce