[lfs-support] Grub 2.00 questions again ... sorry

Eleanore Boyd cara117 at cox.net
Wed Sep 5 14:00:42 PDT 2012

On 9/5/2012 3:47 PM, Firerat wrote:
> On Sep 5, 2012 8:58 PM, "Mikie" <kmb at mikienet.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>

>> Anyone who does not have time or the desire to get into this please feel
> free to ignore past this sentence.
>>

>> I have been Googling for three days and I even tried Bing (don't tell
> anyone that I used Bing though).
>>

>> This may be a dumb question but …
>>

>> I see that Book 7.2 section 8.4 installs Grub and then we create a
> grub.cfg.
>>

>> I have been reading the Grub 2 tutorials and many times I see you should
> not edit grub.cfg rather grub (dot nothing).
>> Then Grub scripts in /etc/default/grub.d will be run by the update-grub
> command which will take /boot/grub/grub as an input file …
>> … and recreate grub.cfg as an output file.
>>

>> I assume that in LFS a minimalist philosophy of creating a small quick
> grub.cfg is chosen.
> Nope
> /boot/grub/grub.cfg cannot be edited by hand!
> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html
> google search term which led to that noted below
>>
>> So as an experiment I liveCD booted, wiped a HD, fdisk'ed, formatted
> ext3, mounted on $LFS,
>> … then, created:
>>

>> /boot
>>
>> /etc/default
>>
>> usr/lib
>>

>> and installed Grub 1.98 via:
>>

>> grub-install  --root-directory=$LFS /dev/sda
>>

>> (I tried --boot-directory=/boot but it would not accept if
>   --root-directory= is used)
>>

>> and it completed no errors but …
>>

>> All .mod and .img files were placed in /boot/grub/
>>
>> No files anywhere else.
>>

>> 1> no update-grub scripts in /etc/default/grub.d       (in fact no grub.d
> or scripts anywhere)
>> 2> the .mod and .img files were not in /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc as I see on
> many other distro's and tutorials but were in /boot
>>

>> So I would assume I am doing something wrong in my use of the
> grub-install command.
> I am by no means a grub expert, but from experience of doing grub-install
> from multiple distros living on different partitions I have noted that the
> theme changes
> >From this I concluded that the grub which is installed to the mbr is
> handcoded based on the grub scripts that reside on the running distro
>> I assume the scripts needed to create a grub.cfg from a manually created
> grub file must come from the grub source tarball?
>>
> I guess there is a basic default, if you want extra functionality you add
> grub.d scripts and any supporting files
>> Anyone know how to get these features?
>>
> google grub
>
> If that is too complicated a search ask on a grub mailing list
>
> Honestly, is it really that difficult to find what you need?
>
> I don't know what search terms you are using, perhaps you should start
> simple and work up
>>
>> Or is this a BLFS question.
>>
> It seems you have failed to understand the simplicity grub offers
> [...]
Bruce gave him a much better answer than you have, Firerat. And besides,
LFS is NOT like any of the major distros; it does not assume ownership
of grub.cfg like those do.

And at any rate, do you realize how snarky and snooty you sound?
Seriously, he's only just gotten into the Linux scene and is still
learning all about it. There really is a reason everybody deals with
Microsoft's hoops and hassles and buys Windows instead of using Linux.
(Here's a hint: it's because of responses like that from people like you.)

Elly