[lfs-support] Grub 2.00 questions again ... sorry

Firerat firer4t at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 5 13:47:48 PDT 2012

On Sep 5, 2012 8:58 PM, "Mikie" <kmb at mikienet.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> Anyone who does not have time or the desire to get into this please feel
free to ignore past this sentence.

> I have been Googling for three days and I even tried Bing (don't tell
anyone that I used Bing though).

> This may be a dumb question but …
>

> I see that Book 7.2 section 8.4 installs Grub and then we create a
grub.cfg.

> I have been reading the Grub 2 tutorials and many times I see you should
not edit grub.cfg rather grub (dot nothing).

> Then Grub scripts in /etc/default/grub.d will be run by the update-grub
command which will take /boot/grub/grub as an input file …

> … and recreate grub.cfg as an output file.
>

> I assume that in LFS a minimalist philosophy of creating a small quick
grub.cfg is chosen.

Nope
/boot/grub/grub.cfg cannot be edited by hand!
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html
google search term which led to that noted below

> So as an experiment I liveCD booted, wiped a HD, fdisk'ed, formatted
ext3, mounted on $LFS,

> … then, created:
>

> /boot
>
> /etc/default
>
> usr/lib
>

> and installed Grub 1.98 via:
>

> grub-install  --root-directory=$LFS /dev/sda
>

> (I tried --boot-directory=/boot but it would not accept if
 --root-directory= is used)

> and it completed no errors but …
>

> All .mod and .img files were placed in /boot/grub/
>
> No files anywhere else.
>

> 1> no update-grub scripts in /etc/default/grub.d       (in fact no grub.d
or scripts anywhere)

> 2> the .mod and .img files were not in /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc as I see on
many other distro's and tutorials but were in /boot

> So I would assume I am doing something wrong in my use of the
grub-install command.

I am by no means a grub expert, but from experience of doing grub-install
from multiple distros living on different partitions I have noted that the
theme changes
>From this I concluded that the grub which is installed to the mbr is
handcoded based on the grub scripts that reside on the running distro
> I assume the scripts needed to create a grub.cfg from a manually created
grub file must come from the grub source tarball?

I guess there is a basic default, if you want extra functionality you add
grub.d scripts and any supporting files

> Anyone know how to get these features?

google grub

If that is too complicated a search ask on a grub mailing list

Honestly, is it really that difficult to find what you need?

I don't know what search terms you are using, perhaps you should start
simple and work up

> Or is this a BLFS question.

It seems you have failed to understand the simplicity grub offers
Read that tutorial and if you still need help ask on a grub list

--
Firerat