[lfs-support] Grub 2.00 questions again ... sorry

Mikie kmb at mikienet.com
Wed Sep 5 12:58:32 PDT 2012

Hello all,

Anyone who does not have time or the desire to get into this please feel free to ignore past this sentence.

I have been Googling for three days and I even tried Bing (don't tell anyone that I used Bing though).

This may be a dumb question but ...

I see that Book 7.2 section 8.4 installs Grub and then we create a grub.cfg.

I have been reading the Grub 2 tutorials and many times I see you should not edit grub.cfg rather grub (dot nothing).
Then Grub scripts in /etc/default/grub.d will be run by the update-grub command which will take /boot/grub/grub as an input file ...
... and recreate grub.cfg as an output file.

I assume that in LFS a minimalist philosophy of creating a small quick grub.cfg is chosen.

So as an experiment I liveCD booted, wiped a HD, fdisk'ed, formatted ext3, mounted on $LFS,
... then, created:

/boot
/etc/default
usr/lib

and installed Grub 1.98 via:

grub-install  --root-directory=$LFS /dev/sda

(I tried --boot-directory=/boot but it would not accept if  --root-directory= is used)

and it completed no errors but ...

All .mod and .img files were placed in /boot/grub/
No files anywhere else.

1> no update-grub scripts in /etc/default/grub.d       (in fact no grub.d or scripts anywhere)
2> the .mod and .img files were not in /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc as I see on many other distro's and tutorials but were in /boot

So I would assume I am doing something wrong in my use of the grub-install command.
I assume the scripts needed to create a grub.cfg from a manually created grub file must come from the grub source tarball?

Anyone know how to get these features?

Or is this a BLFS question.