[lfs-support] LFS 7.2 GCC pass 1

Richard Melville richard.melville69 at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 4 02:03:23 PDT 2012

> Walter Webb wrote:
> > I just joined this list and can't respond properly.
> > I had a different file not found than Israel Silberg.
> > I unset MAKEFLAGS and retried, and it worked.

I'm glad you got it to build, but that's the conclusion of a simple
empiricist.  It's like me saying that because I went to the kitchen and
made a cup of tea before it built successfully, then it must have been the
tea.  I also unset MAKEFLAGS from -j 2 and it *didn't* work for me.

> Good point.  Using -j > 1 can cause problems in some packages.  It can
> cause race conditions that sometimes cause a failure.
>
> I suppose we can put a warning about this in the gcc sections, but we'd
> need it in three places.
>
>    -- Bruce

There's already a warning near the beginning of the book.

Richard