[lfs-support] LFS 7.2 GCC pass 1

Steve Crosby steve.crosby at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 01:34:29 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Richard Melville
<richard.melville69 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I extracted all of these packages from within the GCC-4.7.1 folder

<snip>

> I'd still be interested to know why we build GMP, MPC, and MPFR inside GCC
> except on the final build where they are built separately.
>
> Richard

During pass 1, GCC requires the GMP, MPC and MPFR libraries, but we
don't want GCC to get these libraries from the host. GCC searches for
the libraries either via the regular search paths *or* inside it's own
source tree. We install a temporary copy inside the GCC source tree to
take advantage of this, and thus allow GCC to not be contaminated with
host libraries

During pass 2, we are in a protected chroot environment, so we are no
longer concerned about the host. So other programs in pass 2 can take
advantage of the GMP, MPC and MPFR libraries later in the build, we
install them before GCC instead of in the source tree.

--
-- -
Steve Crosby