[lfs-support] remove or hide the build tools - was LFS 7.2 GCC pass 1

Tobias Gasser lfs at ebp-gasser.ch
Mon Sep 3 12:57:05 PDT 2012

Am 03.09.2012 19:24, schrieb Israel Silberg:

 > And another question, if I want in the end tohave a LFS or BLFS system
 > without gcc in it, shold I keep it in the toolchain or should I remove it
 > when the system is done?

i just add

--bindir=${DEVLOP}
--sbindir=${DEVLOP}

to the following packages configure-options:
gcc glibc automake autoconf pkgconfig libtool binutils

there might be some other packages to consider, but for me these seem to
be sufficient.

root and lfsuser (the user who builds all the stuff) have the following
added to their profile

DEVLOP=/home/lfsuser/devlop
PATH=${DEVLOP}:${PATH}

no user but root and lfsuser have access to ${DEVLOP} by "chown
lfsuser.root ${DEVLOP}"

everything but bin and sbin files are install in the usual place. but
the binaries are some kind of hidden.

binutils is a little special:
some binaries are installed in ${DEVLOP} AND /usr/bin (ar as ld ld.bfd
objcopy objdump ranlib strip) which i delete from /usr/bin to have juse
one copy in ${DEVLOP}

if there is need, you can just move a file from ${DEVLOP} to /usr/bin.
i do so for size and strings from binutils

and i had to make a symlink from ${DEVLOP}/cpp to /lib/cpp as some
packages require /lib/cpp (don't ask which - it's quite some time ago i
'invented' this 'security scheme' for my servers)

to be even more paranoid, just move all the stuff in ${DEVLOP} to an usb
stick - it's less than 8mb of data! whenever you have to build
something, just insert the stick and mount it to ${DEVLOP}. that's what
i did first. but as i have to maintain the servers over ssh (or travel
for hours), i dropped it - except for the client-systems at our local
school.

tobias