[lfs-support] LFS 7.2 GCC pass 1

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 11:21:12 PDT 2012

Eleanore Boyd wrote:
> On 9/3/2012 12:24 PM, Israel Silberg wrote:
>> Thaks all for the replies,
>> Richard, what do you mean by puting it in a script to what is going on? How
>> do I make the script write me the data I need?
>> I know some bash scripting but clearly not enogh :-)
>> And another question, if I want in the end tohave a LFS or BLFS system
>> without gcc in it, shold I keep it in the toolchain or should I remove it
>> when the system is done?
>> How can I remove it? Should I keep its installation folder and not delete
>> it in order to do make remove?

> Why do you want to remove gcc at all? If you want to add ANY new
> programs at all, you'll need gcc in order to compile and install them
> properly. Even if you want to use other compilers, they still need to be
> compiled and installed with gcc prior to removing gcc at all.

Removing gcc can do a couple of things.  First is saves some space.
Second, it makes is more difficult for a bad guy to compile malware for
the system.

The original worm, the Morris worm around 1988, propagated itself via
email where sendmail automatically compiled a program and ran it.  That
hole has been closed for a long time, but in theory, the same thing can
happen if the compiler is present.

   -- Bruce