[lfs-support] /usr/lib/libstdc++.la getting trashed

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 2 19:46:08 PDT 2012

 For some months now, I've had failures in BLFS when
/usr/libstdc++.la was found to be empty ('not a valid libtool
archive') : I know Armin removes these .la files, but I've found
that some things don't rebuild on updates if I do that - on x86_64
and previously on ppc/{,64}.  Last week, I had another such failure
in something, and finally bit the bullet and reworked my scripts to
test that this file - if it exists - is not empty.

 Tonight, I'm building 7.2 on my server.  On the way into chroot
[ my scripts do a few things here which are done inside chroot in
the book ] the test triggered.

 Looking at the timestamp, /usr/lib/libstdc++.la with a length of
zero was updated within the 5 minutes before I saw the error and
looked at it.  I restored it from a backup, and now chapter 6 is
building.

 Bu now that I think about this : when it happened (somewhere at the
end of chapter 5) I was user lfs, so I should not have been able to
wipe this file.

 I know that I've got problems that are specific to my scripts (e.g.
automake tests fail in chroot), so I need to ask : has anyone else
ever seen this sort of error, or am I out on my own ?

ĸen