[lfs-support] Grub Questions (or how to waist yet ... even more ... precious electrons)

Eleanore Boyd cara117 at cox.net
Sun Sep 2 03:40:04 PDT 2012

On 9/1/2012 10:15 PM, Ben Sutter wrote:
> On 09/01/2012 06:49 PM, Eleanore Boyd wrote:
>> On a much more serious note, why are you bashing him for
>> condescension when your reply was even worse in that regard?
> I'm "bashing" him for not doing his homework. Sometimes condescension is
> earned; I didn't jump on him after his first post that should never have
> happened in the first place, or the second or third. As for severity, I
> disagree. He has a trail of replies on this list, like these...
>
> Mikie wrote, at various times:
>
>> what section is this magical step located?
> ...rather than using Ctrl-F to search the book for the exact command and
> finding it on the first try, no googling required.
>
>> you must all realize that many of us "Beginners" are just that.
>> A lot of people who are experts at something forget what it's like to
> be a beginner.
>
>> The fact is, we beginners will continue to miss things even though
> they are in the book.
>
> That's true, for some definitions of "miss." A better word is "ignore."
>
>> LFS does not effectively teach this to anyone other than an already
> Linux expert.
>> ... and please don't complain to me to Google for another site that is
> more suitable for a beginner cause there ain't no such thing people.
>
>> This is the problem when one becomes expertly knowledgeable on a
> subject as most (if not all) of you are.
>> You forget that the rest of us simply don't know what you're talking
> about.
>> These quick little blerps in the book don't really do anything for us
> newbie's to intermediates.
>
> "Quick little blerps"? I think this one takes the prize. Wow, just wow.
>
>> Was it really so painful to exchange three or four emails?
>> ... on an email list that purports to teach?
>> ... Oh cry for the lost electrons!.
> And so on, all the way up to his most recent lecture on how mailing
> lists should work, according to him.
>
> Perhaps I chose the wrong word. In hindsight, privileged and snarky
> probably would have been more accurate. But aside from that one word,
> I stand by the rest of my post.
>
> Back to what Elly wrote:
>> Frankly, I think that he's one of the people who just so happens to
>> have very little luck with search engines when he needs a simple (or
>> complex) answers dealing with Linux.
> I don't think luck has anything to do with it. I think it's laziness and
> an inability or unwillingness to follow directions. Just a few hours ago
> when you suggested he try remastering an existing distro, instead of
> typing "remaster linux distro" into Google, he came back with,
> "ummm ... how do I do that again?"
>
>> Besides, have you bothered to read these results from his perspective?
> Yup. But our paths diverge quite quickly. For example, Mikie would reply
> with "What does the -c do?", whereas I would execute "man bash" and
> discover that -c is documented on the first page in all but the tiniest
> of terminals.

> [...]
You pretty much validated what I said. And with saying that this is
going to be your first LFS build, you've shown you're new to it. I
wouldn't be surprised to find several emails from you complaining about
something not working.

Oh, and don't actually try to reply, as your address will now be blocked.

Elly