[lfs-support] How to know how many packages are installed?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 31 16:12:22 PDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 05:33:23PM -0400, Mario St-Gelais wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 01:04:49 -0700 (PDT)
> gmspro <gmspro at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there any way to know how many packages are installed?
> > Is it possible to know if a package is installed or not?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> I am very new to LFS.  I wrote a very complex script I called wg :P:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> wget $1
> echo $1>>/sources/wget_log.txt
>
> So I keep a log of what's downloaded.

 With respect, that doesn't tell you if you have compiled and
installed it, only that you downloaded it.  It also might give a
false result if wget fails.  In my case, I use 'ls' to see if I
downloaded a package, and hope that I notice any failed downloads
(mostly, I use firefox on a desktop for downloads - I deviate from
the book by NOT building in /sources because for me that is an nfs
mount).

 In LFS people sometimes either forget to install a package, or
accidentally jump a page and skip a package.  There are many ways
of recording that a *script* completed, but we always tell people to
build things in LFS _by_hand_ for at least the first time.  When you
understand how it all fits together, creating scripts which suit
your own way of working is the right thing to do.

 Typically, you will want to write a 'stamp' file somewhere to show
that a package has been built and installed.

ĸen