[lfs-support] lfs-support Digest, Vol 2711, Issue 1

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 31 12:53:02 PDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 05:42:04PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:

>  In pass2 binutils you should be building with the pass1 gcc, which
> ought to mean the build system type is x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu.
> Instead, you seem to be using your host's compiler.  I suppose that
> breaks because either or both of the pass1 ar and ranlib are being
> used.

 Doh!  I should have looked at my own logs - that looks fine, and
the lfs gcc is correctly found when it tests for gcc.  My apologies.
This changes my questions -

>  Your original post showed you were setting CC, AR, RANLIB to the
> LFS_TGT versions, which is correct.  So, please review the
> following:
>
> 1. Are you using fresh source and build directories for pass2
> binutils ?  If not, you need to, so just remove the binutils-2.22
> and binutils-build directories, and similarly use fresh directories
> each time you build something.
>
> 2. I'm assuming you correctly set LFS_TGT to x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu ?
> Did you perhaps omit it on one of the earlier packages ?
>
>  If everything was build correctly, you should have the following
> programs [ just a spot-check that each package has been installed: ]
>
> binutils pass 1 /tools/bin/x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-addr2line
>
> gcc pass 1 /tools/bin/x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-cpp
>
> linux headers /tools/include/asm-generic/auxvec.h
>
> glibc /tools/bin/catchsegv
>
>  Are these all present ?

 Those points 1. and 2. are still worth checking.

> 3. If everything so far looks good, I don't know what to suggest.
> You appear to be telling configure to use CC=$LFS_TGT-gcc but it
> is somehow trying to use the regular x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc.
>
>  Is /tools/bin/gcc a hardlink to x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-gcc ?  You can
> find that out with
> ls -li /tools/bin/*gcc
> (the inode numbers will be identical if it is a hard link, and it
> should be a hardlink until you have installed gcc pas 2)

 These points are NOT worth checking because in fact it used the
correct -lfs- gcc.  Instead please try the following as the lfs user:

echo 'main(){}' > dummy.c
/tools/bin/x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-gcc dummy.c

 Do you get any output from this ?  If not, did it correctly create
a.out this time ?

ĸen