[lfs-support] lfs-support Digest, Vol 2711, Issue 1

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 31 10:42:04 PDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 09:30:45PM +0530, Abhishek Porwal wrote:
> Hi William,
> First of all thank you on replying. As you said to post the
> config.log, here is the complete code from config.log file -

[...]
> configure:2230: checking build system type
> configure:2244: result: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> configure:2291: checking host system type
> configure:2304: result: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> configure:2324: checking target system type
> configure:2337: result: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

 Please don't top post, it makes it much harder to follow a
conversation, and trim what you are replying to.  Thanks.

 In pass2 binutils you should be building with the pass1 gcc, which
ought to mean the build system type is x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu.
Instead, you seem to be using your host's compiler.  I suppose that
breaks because either or both of the pass1 ar and ranlib are being
used.

 Your original post showed you were setting CC, AR, RANLIB to the
LFS_TGT versions, which is correct.  So, please review the
following:

1. Are you using fresh source and build directories for pass2
binutils ?  If not, you need to, so just remove the binutils-2.22
and binutils-build directories, and similarly use fresh directories
each time you build something.

2. I'm assuming you correctly set LFS_TGT to x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu ?
Did you perhaps omit it on one of the earlier packages ?

 If everything was build correctly, you should have the following
programs [ just a spot-check that each package has been installed: ]

binutils pass 1 /tools/bin/x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-addr2line

gcc pass 1 /tools/bin/x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-cpp

linux headers /tools/include/asm-generic/auxvec.h

glibc /tools/bin/catchsegv

 Are these all present ?

3. If everything so far looks good, I don't know what to suggest.
You appear to be telling configure to use CC=$LFS_TGT-gcc but it
is somehow trying to use the regular x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc.

 Is /tools/bin/gcc a hardlink to x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-gcc ?  You can
find that out with
ls -li /tools/bin/*gcc
(the inode numbers will be identical if it is a hard link, and it
should be a hardlink until you have installed gcc pas 2)

ĸen