[lfs-support] LFS Boot Process Details

Robin rc.rattusrattus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 09:58:16 PDT 2012

On 19 October 2012 17:23, Feuerbacher, Alan
<AFeuerbacher at allegromicro.com> wrote:
> I'd like some clarification of the boot process after installing LFS.
>
> My Intel machine has 3 disks:
>
> /dev/sda (1TB) has WindowsXP on it, and the Master Boot Record. fdisk indicates that its only partition is marked boot.
>
> /dev/sdb (500GB) has a Debian installation with 3 partitions, including Linux swap, with the 1st partition marked by fdisk as boot.
>
> /dev/sdc (300GB) has LFS (in the process of being installed), has a bunch of partitions for /, /boot, swap, /usr and so forth, with the /boot partition /dev/sdc5 marked by fdisk as boot.
>
> When I boot the system now (with LFS GRUB not yet installed) I get Debian's boot loader, which gives me a choice of Debian and Windows.
>
> After I install LFS GRUB and reboot, what should I expect to see? How does GRUB figure out where to put its new boot information?
>
> Thanks, as usual.
> Alan

To make sure LFS boots properly firstly start Debian and as root do
update-grub. That process should pick up LFS  (assuming the LFS kernel
installation is completed). If running update-grub doesn't pick up LFS
you might need to install a package in Debian called os-prober.
I haven't tried installing grub from LFS yet.

--
rob