[lfs-support] LFS Boot Process Details

Feuerbacher, Alan AFeuerbacher at ALLEGROMICRO.com
Fri Oct 19 09:23:46 PDT 2012

I'd like some clarification of the boot process after installing LFS.

My Intel machine has 3 disks:

/dev/sda (1TB) has WindowsXP on it, and the Master Boot Record. fdisk indicates that its only partition is marked boot.

/dev/sdb (500GB) has a Debian installation with 3 partitions, including Linux swap, with the 1st partition marked by fdisk as boot.

/dev/sdc (300GB) has LFS (in the process of being installed), has a bunch of partitions for /, /boot, swap, /usr and so forth, with the /boot partition /dev/sdc5 marked by fdisk as boot.

When I boot the system now (with LFS GRUB not yet installed) I get Debian's boot loader, which gives me a choice of Debian and Windows.

After I install LFS GRUB and reboot, what should I expect to see? How does GRUB figure out where to put its new boot information?

Thanks, as usual.
Alan