[lfs-support] Chapter 8.4 Using Grub

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Mon Oct 15 23:40:37 PDT 2012

Hi,

Garrett Gaston <garrett85 <at> hotmail.com> writes:
> xorriso : FAILURE : Drive address '/dev/cdrw' rejected because: not existing
and -drive_class 'risky' '/dev'
> [...]
> Above is what I'M getting when I ran these commands below, any ideas?
> xorriso -as cdrecord -v dev=/dev/cdrw blank=as_needed grub-img.iso

There is no file /dev/cdrw that would point to an optical drive.

Get a list of reachable optical drives by
  xorriso -devices
or
  xorriso -device_links
On Linux, the drives must offer rw-permission to be reachable.

>From an ouput line like
  0  -dev '/dev/sr0' rwrw-- :  'TSSTcorp' 'CDDVDW SH-S203B'
derive the drive address
  /dev/sr0
so you can run
  xorriso -as cdrecord -v dev=/dev/sr0 blank=as_needed grub-img.iso

If you only have one optical drive and use a modern Linux kernel,
then /dev/sr0 is a safe guess.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas