[lfs-support] 6.7. Linux-3.5.2 API Headers compile error

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 12 08:41:37 PDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 03:55:46AM +0000, Yida Zhang wrote:
> Hi, there
>
> I'm having errors while compiling the kernel by running "make
> headers_check". The errors are as follows:
>
> CHECK include/linux (377 files)
> /sources/linux-3.5.2/usr/include/linux/kexec.h:49: userspace cannot
> reference function or variable defined in the kernel
> /sources/linux-3.5.2/usr/include/linux/soundcard.h:1054: userspace cannot
> reference function or variable defined in the kernel
> CHECK include/mtd (5 files)

[ snip details ]

> I understand that in soundcard.h file, the error might be harmless, but the
> one in kexec.h worries me. Is this error a road blocker for building my LFS
> system? If I need to fix this before going further, what should be the fix?
>
> And what does it mean by " userspace cannot reference function or variable
> defined in the kernel" anyway?

 The book is perhaps too keen on testsuites.  In this case, the
messages may be useful to a kernel developer [ the uapi changes
lined up for 3.7 and 3.8 might solve these two problems ].

 'Userspace' is everything outside the kernel, so a definition is
broken because something within it is internal to the kernel and not
visible when the userspace program uses the header.  Does it matter ?
Probably not : I've had the same errors, but my server and desktop
builds of LFS-7.2 work ok.  It is _possible_ that a package might not
compile, or might not work correctly, because of these errors, but
AFAIK there isn't a problem.

 The soundcard.h error has been there since at least LFS-7.0,
although it was not present in linux-2.6.37.

ĸen