[lfs-support] Best Linux Version for LFS?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 10:51:01 PDT 2012

Ken Moffat wrote:

> All distros think they own /boot : this will make updating kernels
> fun if more than one distro (or LFS+distro) is involved.

Making a backup of /boot/grub/grub.cfg is generally all that's needed.
Alternatively, I don't bother with other distros much any more.  If I
do, I can use kvm so they don't mess with *my* system.

> Distros use different user numbers (debian-derived distros probably
> use similar numbers, redhat/fedora-derived distros use a different
> set of similar numbers), and have their own ideas about which
> group(s) users belong in - this occasionally creates some amusement
> when you share /home.

Generally 'sudo vi /etc/passwd' works for that.  Even better,

mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/lfs
sudo cp /mnt/lfs/etc/{passwd,group} /etc

Will do the trick too.  :)

   -- Bruce