[lfs-support] Best Linux Version for LFS?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 09:11:18 PDT 2012

Feuerbacher, Alan wrote:
> I recently put together my personal computer for general purposes,
> but also to play around with various Linux versions and LFS. It's a
> fairly high end machine with a near-top Intel Core7 processor, 32G of
> memory and plenty of space in the case for extra hard drives.
> Currently I have Windows7 installed on a 180G SSD, as well as several
> 1-3TB hard drives.

A waste of HW.

> What would be a good hardware setup for playing around with LFS, BLSF
> and so forth, in terms of more hard drives? How about Linux versions?
> Are there any good resources that discuss these things?
>
> I understand that asking about Linux versions can generate a lot of
> "discussion", but I'd like to know from you guys who play with this
> all the time what your idea of a nice setup would be. Things like
> number of hard drives where one or more Linuxes live, partitioning
> and so on.

Compared to what you have, LFS/BLFS takes very few resources.  Just a
few partitions:

I have:

/        12G ( 6G free)
/home    37G (28G free)
/boot   100M (27M free)
/opt     17G (11G free)
/usr/src 46G (17F free)
/mnt/lfs  9G ( 7G free)

and a swap partition.

Of course most of this could be combined into one or perhaps two
partitions, but separating things out is useful for testing multiple builds.

   -- Bruce