[lfs-support] Compiling GCC pass 1 of Linux From Scratch

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 8 10:05:08 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 05:38:43PM +0530, Arvind S Raj wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I'm trying Linux from scratch and am really excited about it. I have
> encountered an error when I compile GCC. The error is
> http://paste.pound-python.org/show/26539/. I noticed that many others have
> faced this error(a few threads in the GCC mailing list) and there is a
> thread in LFS mailing list too but none have a solution(at least the ones I
> looked at). Could anyone help me out here by pointing me to right direction?

 It would have been easier if you had pasted the error here, and
omitted the host's 'gcc -v' output unless someone asked for it.

 The error is:
checking dynamic linker characteristics... configure: error: Link
tests are not allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
make[2]: *** [configure-stage1-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1

> Some info on the Ubuntu 12.04 machine I'm running. If any more information
> is required, do let me know and I'll gladly provide the same.
>
> Linux 3.2.0-31-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 7 16:16:45 UTC 2012 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> $ gcc -v

 I *think* the reports on the gnu/gcc lists are mostly irrelevant to
this problem on LFS : we are doing a pseudo cross-compile, they are
often trying to bring up a new platform, with a real cross-compile.
But, they do show that this error is related to libstdc++ - more on
this at the end.

 Since many of the lfs-related reports seem to be from ubuntu, did
you check the host system requirements in the book's preface ?  Best
to fix any missing programs before starting.   Also check that LFS
and LFS_TGT match the book : /mnt/lfs and x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu.

 After checking those essential (lots of people on ubuntu have
problems because they skip the prerequisite checks, or think they
can change the values of those two variables with ease), the normal
last-stop is to get down and dirty looking at the detailed output
from config.log : there is more than one config.log file in gcc, you
want the one which reportes the fatal error, and then you need to
look at the actual error which the last program fragment reported,
not the message which configure reports.

 However, I think I can point you to the problem : you should not be
building c++ in gcc pass 1.  In the 7.1 book there are 19 switches
passed to configure.  The 17th switch is --enable-languages=c.  You
appear to have missed that, and perhaps some of the others.

ĸen