[lfs-support] next step wireless

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Wed Nov 28 13:10:39 PST 2012

On Wednesday 28 November 2012 14:48:05 Chris Staub wrote:
> If you're just using WEP, then you don't really need anything other than
> wireless_tools. Of course you also want dhcpcd if you're connecting via
> dhcp, but that's actually separate from the wireless settings. Just
> install wireless_tools (see BLFS) and type "iwconfig [wlan0] essid
> [SSIDof_your_router] enc [encryption_key]" before bringing up your
> network connection - and maybe add that to your network startup script.

I am using wpa, so I was generalising wep and wpa, that is the reason for
supplicant. You are right, your instructions are OK for a communication.
However, Dave wanted to use WICD, what gives more elasticity in running in
different places with different encryptions. I hope, I am not wrong. To my
experience, WICD is a great tool.

Edgar
--

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers <edgaralwers at gmx.de>