[lfs-support] next step wireless

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Wed Nov 28 11:48:05 PST 2012

On 11/27/2012 05:15 PM, Dave wrote:
> Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
>> On Tuesday 27 November 2012 11:09:33 Dave wrote:
>>
>>> I only have  WiFi with WEP encryption here, can the WICD pkg and DHCP
>>> alone handle this connect?
>>>

>> You will need some other packages, like wpa_supplicant, but the answer is yes.
>> It is late here, and I am tired, but I can come back to the issue if you need
>> advice. I am working with WICD  and DHCP.

If you're just using WEP, then you don't really need anything other than
wireless_tools. Of course you also want dhcpcd if you're connecting via
dhcp, but that's actually separate from the wireless settings. Just
install wireless_tools (see BLFS) and type "iwconfig [wlan0] essid
[SSIDof_your_router] enc [encryption_key]" before bringing up your
network connection - and maybe add that to your network startup script.