[lfs-support] next step wireless

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Wed Nov 28 07:22:01 PST 2012

On Tuesday 27 November 2012 11:09:33 Dave wrote:

> I only have  WiFi with WEP encryption here, can the WICD pkg and DHCP
> alone handle this connect?

Good morning Dave,

Well, as I told you yesterday, yes. From my notes taken during build:

You will need

Wireless Tools, BLFS Book § 15
wpa_supplicant BLFS Book § 15
	Supplicant is intended to handle WPA encryptions. However, it understands
	also other protocols, like WEP. See the informations in wikipedia,
	https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant
dhcpcd BLFS Book § 14
Wireless Drivers: depending on your laptop. I have a thinkpad with iwl3945
card. Depending on your kernel, you need to activate the intree driver
directly, in my case iwlwifi, www.intellinuxwireless.org.
Microcode Images. (http://intellinuxwireless.org )
Py2cairo, BLFS Book § 13, needed by PyGTK
PyGObject BLFS Book $ 13
PyGTK,   BLFS Book § 13 needed by WICD

You should configure /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, see wikipedia link above.
network={
        ssid="mywireless_ssid"
        psk="secretpassphrase"
        # Additional parameters (proto, key_mgmt, etc.)
        proto=WEP WPA
}

I wrote a little script "wlan0_Home", which I placed in /etc/rc.d/init.d, that
calls supplicant and dhcpcd:
--------------
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/wlan0_Home
/usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant -B -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0 -Dwext
/sbin/dhcpcd wlan0
--------------

and finally, you write the scripts
/etc/sysconfig/ifconfig.wlan0:
---------------
ONBOOT="no"
IFACE="wlan0"
SERVICE="dhcpcd"
DHCP_START="wlan0 -t 20"
DHCP_STOP="-k "
----------------
and
/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.wlan0/dhclient:
----------------
ONBOOT="no"
SERVICE="dhclient"

DHCP_START="wlan0 -t 20"
DHCP_STOP="-k "

# Set PRINTIP="yes" to have the script print
# the DHCP assigned IP address
PRINTIP="no"

# Set PRINTALL="yes" to print the DHCP assigned values for
# IP, SM, DG, and 1st NS. This requires PRINTIP="yes".
PRINTALL="no"

ONBOOT="no" is needed to be able to start WICD
The last two scripts taken, slighty modifyed, from the BLFS Book.

I hope these notes will help you in some way to put your wifi connection to
work. The business is not as difficult as it may seem. Good luck !

Edgar
--

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers <edgaralwers at gmx.de>
GPG Key ID:AD5C6F70