[lfs-support] Understanding 32bit vs 64bit and multilib systems

Kyle Brennan kyle_bren at live.com
Mon Nov 26 19:51:56 PST 2012

Hi,
I'm not sure that this is the right mailing list, but I'm going to throw
this out there anyways.

I've got a few questions about building LFS on a 64 bit host and how
multilib works.

1. What exactly is multilib?  (I've googled, wikipedia'd etc and I'm still a
bit confused) from my understanding, it's simply an additional set of
libraries that will allow for a system to interpret both 32 bit and 64 bit
machine code.

2. I'm building on a 64 bit system, if I follow the book exactly, would this
build yield a 32 bit or 64 bit system?

3. if the answer to question one is 64 bit, is this automatically a multilib
system or are there additional steps that will pave the way to multilib?

4. can I use the LFS book to create a 32bit system on a 64 bit OS?  (I'm
assuming that the book for this would be CLFS though)

---
Thanks,
Kyle Brennan