[lfs-support] Query regarding displaying of Images on console.

jxa127 at verizon.net jxa127 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 26 08:21:46 PST 2012

On 11/26/12, Anurag Paliwal<anurag001 at live.com> wrote:

>Hi guys,As I selected to have a tux logo to be seen at time of booting my LFS system, it is clear that it does
>support rendering images on screen. My question is how can I use this functionality to display some other images on console?
>

>Thanks.

You'll need to enable Linux framebuffer support in the kernel when you build it.

Also check out the Linux Framebuffer How-to: http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO/index.html

Finally, to take advantage of the framebuffer image display, you'll need to compile programs that take advantage of the framebuffer support. Three programs that I use are the web browser links which can open in a graphical mode on the framebuffer, fbida which can display images in the framebuffer, and mplayer will play videos in the framebuffer.

GTK 2 can be compiled with framebuffer support (although I haven't done it), so that GTK programs can run in the framebuffer without modification. When I get to BLFS on my current LFS build, I'm going to try the GTK framebuffer support.

Regards,

-Drew